Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pass the Prozac, Please! :)

Happy Pioneer Day!
And, what a day it was! Where did all the nice, kind, respectful, Utahns go? I thought we lived in the land where love abounded!:) I thought today was a celebration of our ancestors who sacrificed so much! Not in Bountiful! In Bountiful it is parade day.... and parades bring out the claws in the women of UT! Who knew? I know now.
Below is a picture of our store, Whisperwood! It happens to be on main street in Bountiful! The parade route passes right in front of our store. Did I mention, Utahns are crazy about their parades! They had to make a LAW here saying, "No one could put chairs out until 7:00am the day of the parade to reserve spots!" I guess people would camp out for days before until the LAW became effective! Fair enough! Not a big deal, right!? Let me tell you, UT women take this parade thing WAY TOO SERIOUSLY! My friend (and co-owner of Whisperwood) Julie, showed up at Whisperwood at 7:00 this morning to make a little pathway from the sidewalk to our front door in order to allow customers a small walk way during business hours today. The parade didn't start until 6:00 pm this evening so we were open for business all day...as USUAL!
When she arrives, there are hoards of women (who have been there since 4:00 am) waiting to CLAIM a spot. They are not happy about Julie roping off a pathway to our store entrance! It's Parade Day! They WANT to cover the entire front of our building with chairs and ropes to save spots for the parade that night! WHAT?? And block our front door so we can't do business! It's the 23rd of July! Not the 24th! We're open for business all day! We need people to be able to get in the front door....is that an unreasonable thing to ask? Yes! Apparently it is! And their claws came out! Yikes! It all ended somewhat peacefully, but I'll just say this....more prozac please...and not for me, I have plenty!:)



Parade time! See the orange barricades by the door!:) The police sided with us! The crazy parade ladies had to leave our doorway "unblocked!"


Kenna & Mom!



Jace...happy only if he could hold Kenna's flag!:)


Kenna & Jace...not so happy without the flag!:)
Brad was out of town, Carson didn't want to go, & Ceej informed me that 12 yr. olds are too old for parades. His 38 yr. old mom doesn't think you're ever too old for a parade!:)


Governor John Huntsman & his wife were even in the parade! Maybe that's why everyone wanted to reserve a spot at 4:00 am - a bit of a celebrity sighting!

It was a fun parade! AND I am very grateful for the pioneers! I can't imagine what they went through! We are so blessed to live in a day with so many modern conveniences and luxuries! We even have prozac, if needed!:)

8 comments:

  1. That is CRAZY! People are weird about things like that. I don't like parades at all. You would never see me there at 4:00 in the afternoon, much less 4:00 in the morning! And your kids!~ They are so cute! They look so "Turley-ish!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOPS! That last post was from ME! I accidentally posted under my mom's name as I was helping her with her blog. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your store. Hope I can come see it some time. I too love parades! Happy Pioneer DAy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny :) only in Utah...there is a parade for everything!
    question for you...i need some cute, simple ideas for our "fabulous friday" enrichment night. it's going to be in sept. so i need some of your cute creative ideas! i would welcome any and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy parade ladies? Whatever! Is is it too much to ask to have a good seat and access to boundless amounts of candy being thrown right at your head? People wait hours to see Hannah Montana - but we're talking the Huntsmans here. I say - close the place down and focus on what's really important.

    Hee! Hee! JUST KIDDING! :-) Pass me some Prozac. :-) IT looks like it was fun! Shaun was soooo happy to be headed out of town so he could skip all the festivities. I personally think there's nothing better than a parade and a good rodeo. It sounds like you didn't need a rodeo to see some good action. Next year we'll come to Whisperwood too and hope for a good brawl or a few utah ladies to get "thrown". :-)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, you are hilarious! that event should be written up in the newspaper... word for word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so funny! I actually helped her set up her blog and showed her how to use it hoping she would join the ban wagon! She will be home from her mom’s on Saturday and I told her a few days ago that when she gets home we are getting her going! Fingers crossed but I think she should be blogging away by the end of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Utah people....hehehe....sound like something that would happen south of the border, only firearms would be involved!

    ReplyDelete